Welcome to the (internal) homepage for the Mathematics and Computer Science research group at the Department of Basic Sciences and Environment, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen.
The applied research of our group falls primarily within applications of mathematics in chemistry, biology, population dynamics and agriculture. We are interested in collaboration with other research groups. Below we mention some publications that have resulted from these collaborations.
- We have participated in a study of the formation and degradation of
the biofumigant benzyl isothiocyanate in soil. A model for the
degradation was proposed and data was fitted. Reference:
Anne Louise Gimsing, Jes Leisgaard Poulsen, Henrik L. Pedersen and Hans Christian Bruun Hansen, Formation and degradation kinetics of the biofumigant benzyl isothiocyanate in soil, Environ. Sci. Technol. 41 (2007), 4271-4276.
- Phosphate sorption properties of soils in anoxic conditions have been
investigated. Phosphate isotherms spiked with different phosphate
concentrations were fitted with a modified Longmuir isotherm
Lisa Heiberg, Thomas Vils Pedersen, Henning S. Jensen, Charlotte Kjaergaard and Hans Christian Bruun Hansen, A comparative study of phosphate sorption in lowland soils under oxic and anoxic conditions, J. Environ. Qual. 39 (2010), 734-743.
If you have data from experiments that could perhaps call for a model please contact any of us. If you would like to do some modeling with your data in your bachelor project or master thesis you are also welcome to contact us.
Furthermore we offer a PhD course in advanced mathematics for biologists. In any case you can contact the head of our research group Henrik Laurberg Pedersen.
We also conduct research in pure mathematics, in particular in the fields of
- Harmonic analysis, Lie groups and symmetric spaces
- Functional analysis and function theory
- Didactics of mathematics
- Homological algebra
The research in computer science is focused on
- Image analysis with applications in agriculture and forestry.
For a more detailed description of the research interests in pure mathematics and computer science see the individual pages of the members of the research group:
- Mogens Flensted-Jensen (Professor), http://www.matdat.life.ku.dk/~mfj
- Henrik Holm (Assistant Professor), http://www.matdat.life.ku.dk/~hholm
- Morten Larsen (Associate Professor), http://www.matdat.life.ku.dk/~ml
- Henrik Laurberg Pedersen (Associate Professor, head of group), http://www.matdat.life.ku.dk/~henrikp
- Thomas Vils Pedersen (Associate Professor), http://www.matdat.life.ku.dk/~tsr348